Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Heavenly Fathers Day ~ Inspired by Dad

Fathers Day... As a father of 2 great boys I really enjoy fathers day. It is not a day that sends me to the golf course or sends me fishing. It is a day that sends me to my family. It focuses me on the gifts God has given me, my wife and those two wonderful boys. Whom without I could not bear the title father.

Fathers Day may not represent great moments for some. Some fathers were not around for their children. I have friends out there, whose dads were alcoholics, abusive, verbally an physically, and much worse. I have friends who have not been able to become dads and fathers day represents a hole in their life. I am writing this blog to hopefully bring a sense of peace to those with loss or pain on fathers day and to encourage all men in their roles as fathers, uncles, grand-dads, god-parents, and friends to children.

I grew up with a dad who is truly inspiring. I was adopted as an infant and I believe my parents were divinely selected for me. At a very early age dad established in me a moral compass based on God's direction. If I wanted to do something that he may disagree with (i.e. watch a TV program, stay up late, etc) he would always give me the choice. "Grant you can... if you think that is what God wants you to do." He always placed me in a moral dialogue with God. He just had a good way of phrasing things in a way that forced me to consider more than myself.

Don't get me wrong, I had plenty to cry about growing up. What I mean is, I was crying when the black belt took to my backside for making poor choices. I understood the consequences of my choices. Dad understood the meaning of "spare the rod spoil the child" and I am so thankful for his wisdom today. In my life today when faced with tough decisions I consider God and His will for my life and I consider the social consequences of my actions.

Dad is also the most giving man I have ever met. I have seen him feed the hungry and help stranded strangers. He let a friend live with our family until the man could back on his feet. He genuinely loves so deeply that he struggles with seeing anyone go without. However, he is not blind to an individuals laziness. He will not tolerate unjust behavior towards others. He will not stand by and watch someone take advantage of others for self gain.

As a young man I struggled to appropriately express the same moral fiber with grace. I desired to be just and loving in my heart, but there was often poor execution in my action. He used to try and temper my exuberance, but as a brash young man I was "in control". Looking back over my life, it has taken some serious bumps and bruises to understand that grace is a powerful way to reach others. Dad understood this and tried to teach me the best that he could. I think he did a great job.

So today on fathers day as I look at my boys I have one goal, and that is to be half the man to them that my father was to me. To do that it requires the greatest Father of all... my Heavenly Father. The One who knows no limits to grace. The One who died for me, my dad, and all of us. He died for those whose dads were not around and those who feel pain on fathers day. All of us celebrate Fathers Day every day. We celebrate it when we kneel at our beds or bow our heads for prayer. We celebrate it when we help a stranger or feed the hungry.

We celebrate our Heavenly Father when we teach our children about the life He has called us all to live. My dad taught me all the time, the very best he knew how. In doing so he celebrated the Heavenly Father. We too can celebrate our Heavenly Father every day.

Make every day Heavenly Fathers Day... teach your children.

Sincerely,

Grant Magers
CEO
Moola Monsters, LLC
www.moolamonsters.com

No comments:

Post a Comment