Monday, July 6, 2009

My Point Exactly

Every so often there is something that happens that makes a person yell, "My point exactly!" I had one of those moments on the 5th. We have some dear friends in town for the 4th of July weekend. Their dad is over in Afghanistan for a year, so the rest of the family joined us for a week of R&R. We have 5 boys under the age of 8 in the house so it has been Wrestle Mania 24/7 and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Saturday night I woke up about 12:30am because the Arizona heat was winning. So I went over and turned the AC down. Ahhhhh...much better. Then at 3:00am I woke up again to the scorching Arizona heat only to find out that someone had turned the AC back up. So, like any other relatively sane person I turned the AC back down again, and went to sleep.

Saturday morning rolls around and everyone is scurrying around the kitchen. Bacon is frying, eggs are scrambled and ready to serve, and the coffee is made. Before I could reach the cups, my wife gets my attention, and asks if I was turning the temperature down last night. "Of course," I replied "it was scorching." She then began to remind me about the cost of the electric bill this time of year. You might think that this is the point... It's not.

Apparently before I stumbled out of hibernation, Tracy had asked the kids if they had turned the air down. They of course said no, and she went on to explain to them that it costs money to run the AC. It was at that point that my son's friend said, "Wait a minute, isn't this your
house?" Tracy replied, "yes". He continued, "Well if it is your house, why do you have to pay for your own air?"

THAT'S IT!!! That is my point. Thank you young man. This is why Moola Monsters was created. Children today do not have a conceptual framework of how the world works. It all just automatically appears and they consume. So much so that they naturally assume we just consume as well. Why should they think anything different? We hit a button, and the air turns on. We hit another button and cartoons are there. We hit another button and dinner is served. How old were we before fully understood that it is more than just hitting a button. It usually takes us growing up and moving out of our parents house. Unfortunately, by that time too many of us are programmed to bad financial behavior.

Now is the time for you to make a difference in your child's life. You can teach them how the world works. Moola Monsters can help. Your kids will learn to make good choices without even realizing that they are learning.

To my son's best friend... "Thanks pal! Thanks for having enough insight to ask the question. Thanks for helping us parents wake up. Now it is our turn to teach you."

Sincerely,

Grant Magers
CEO
Moola Monsters, LLC
www.moolamonsters.com

No comments:

Post a Comment