Sunday, October 18, 2009

Happy Giving

Every Sunday morning I ask the kids to get their Moola Monsters' banks and bring them to me. We then proceed to count their cards. We decide how much they are going to take out of their investments or how much they are going to leave in. We take out 10% and move it to savings. We also take out 10% for our tithe to God. This morning Michael asked me the most insightful question. After he gave me three Moola Monsters to give to God he asked me if the cards go to heaven to be with God.

What if they did? What if your tithe went directly to God? Would it change your thoughts about tithing? What if he kept an accounting of your giving? What if God used those funds to improve the universe? How would God use the dollars you gave Him? These questions sped through my mind in a blast of just a few seconds as Michael looked up at me awaiting an answer. Truthfully, it was a bit terrifying to consider that my giving is that personal to God.

I looked at Michael and explained that for each card he and his brother give, I give one dollar to the church on their behalf. I then explained that God uses those dollars by working with the church to help others. So in a very real sense those dollars do go to be with God in heaven, and he uses them. Of course let us never forget Matthew 6:19-21,

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Happy Giving,

Grant Magers
CEO
Moola Monsters, LLC
www.moolamonsters.com

No comments:

Post a Comment